Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Botanical Gardens

    January 20, 2022 in Mauritius ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Named for the 1st Prime Minister of the independent Mauritius, Sir S. Ramgoolam, the national botanical garden is said to be the oldest botanical garden in the southern hemisphere. It dates to either 1735 or 1768, depending on whether the market gardens of the Mon Plaisir Chateau are included. Mon Plaisir is the estate on which the gardens are located.
    This garden is most famous for its giant water lilies that are shown in the 1st picture. The 2nd picture looks across part of the site to the old plantation house or chateau, depending on whether we talk about the French or British period.
    The 3rd picture looks across some of the wetland vegetation preserved here. The 4th picture looks at remains from the agricultural days, when the chateau grew produce to sell to provision ships as well as a place to acclimatize new crops being introduced to the island.
    The 5th picture struck me. It's simply a stream on site with associated stream side plants. The last picture is the largest pond in the garden with its island. It's no surprise to find palms in a tropical garden. What is unique is that there are over 100 species of palm planted here.
    Read more