Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Ile Aux Aigrettes

    January 22, 2022 in Mauritius ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    The Ile is a coral island in Mahebourg bay less than a mile off shore. It is now a nature reserve. Like much of Mauritius, the island experienced heavy logging and the introduction of non-native species. Once established as a nature reserve, they started a campaign to eliminate the many invasive species, a program that is still operating. And they began a process of reintroducing the native species. Now, this island is the only remaining remnant of the dry coastal forest of Mauritius.
    In the 1st picture you can see the Mauritius fody. This is a male in breeding season colors. The red will fade back to olive green.
    The 2nd picture is a look at the forest along one of the paths.
    The 3rd picture is of native plant species being started in a nursery in the middle of the island. They continue to work with the endemic species, making plants available for the reforestation of the island.
    The 4th picture is a fruit bat, aka a flying fox. These bats in captivity we're injured young and brought in for care. They have become too domesticated to be released.
    The 5th picture is a candle tree. The species is naturally hollow. By filling the center with oil, these were lit and used as torches.
    A significant number of native species have gone extinct from human predation and deforestation. Throughout the island are sculptures of some of those species. The last picture is of the sculpture of what is probably the best known of the extinct species: the dodo.
    Read more