Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Ekasup Cultural Village

    February 4, 2023 in Vanuatu

    Ekasup Cultural Village is a place where the old Melanesian way of living in Vanuatu is brought to life by local people in traditional dress. This is not a working village, per se. There are no houses. No one lives here. But there were men, women and children being children all wearing the traditional grass clothing.
    In the 1st picture is an elder welcoming us to the village. We had followed a guide blowing a conch shell to this point where warriors challenged us. This was followed by a peace welcoming.
    The 2nd picture demonstrated food preservation. This process developed in response to cyclones knocking out all vegetation so the all crops were either destroyed or lying on the ground. Bananas and breadfruit in this circumstance are dried and wrapped in banana leaves; then buried in the pit to the right. With proper care, the food would keep for years.
    The 3rd picture shows 2 different traps. One is a rope and tree trap that catches and lifts whatever is caught up in the air. The guide is pointing at it. The other is a type of basket trap at the other side of the picture.
    The 4th picture shows 2 fishing methods unique to Vanuatu. To the left is a pole with a bundle of vine at one end. This is used only occasionally for large groups as the vines deplete the oxygen killing all fish. So a large harvest is gathered. This could easily result in overfishing if used too much. The other method, also detailed in the 5th picture, is a fishing net used for bait fish. The net is made is made of the web of a specific spider. There is one by the guide's hand.
    The 6th picture is of plants used for medicine here. This is only of few known examples. I'm told that 85% of their plants have medicinal uses. However, most of the knowledge is very closely held so as not to destroy their heritage.
    The last picture is what would be the village meeting house. Here they shared dance and song (see additional posts).
    Read more