Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Archeological Museum

    September 16, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 75 °F

    We can see clearly now - the rain is gone.
    And so we sashayed (after 14:00 the French don't saunder, so we follow the suit 😉) to the Archeological Museum which turned to be like 100 meters from Jardin des Poets (actually if you go back to that footprint and zoom you will see the old stone wall straight ahead - that's where the museum is).
    And yes, this one was also free today (we didn’t complain).

    Created in 1963, Musée d'archéologie d'Antibes is located at Bastion Saint-André, a military stronghold built by Vauban in the late XVII century. Its two vaulted galleries are home to the Antibes’ permanent archaeological collection, made up of objects excavated both on land and in the sea. It has allowed us to reconstruct the history of the town during Antiquity as well as the history of Ligurian, Greek, and Roman populations who have left their mark on Antibes.
    Ancient Roman artifacts, coins & other historic finds on display in a snug seaside fort-museum.
    No, these are NOT Roman toilets. This is a double oven.
    The part of water Aqueduct outside is also cool.
    The 1st photo shows some artifacts going back to Etruscans, then Greeks, Greek colony, and finally Romans from the conquer into Pax Romana.
    Some Stella's bear marks of Titus Flavius Valerius... with a name like this, I would SWEAR that there has to be a connection to Flavia Dynasty but could not peg it conclusively.
    The amphora are neat, some of them are from Africa.
    And,sorry, but NO again, it is not a Roman Jacuzzi but an inner courtyard fountain. I ran into a similar one on Camino shortly after Fonfria (Cassie, you getting this?)
    Read more