Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Day 6

    November 25, 2015 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Another busy day!

    We rushed out of the apartment at 9.30 (having slept in) to have another private tango lesson. It was very good again. We are discovering tango is like an onion, there are more and more layers!

    Afterwards we had lunch, went for a long walk and then went to a group lesson in the afternoon (2 hours) which was being given by one of our teachers (which meant it was partly in English!).

    In walking around the city we have realised they have kept many of the trees which really improves the look and feel of BA.

    Our teacher, Damian, had given us the name of his tailor that he gets his tango pants from so we caught a taxi there after the class. I bought a couple of pre-made tango pants ($75 & $90). The tailor got my size right by just looking at me for about 2 seconds and the quality of the work was also obvious. So I decided to have a suit made also. After it was all measured up and the price agreed, I told him who had sent me. This resulted in a gift of another pair of tango pants, 2 polo shirts and 2 tango tops for AM! I assume Damian has a lot of clothes made by him.

    We have discovered that taxis are plentiful and relatively cheap - most trips take about 20 minutes and cost about AUD$8-$9. They are easy to use if you have the address written down. We have used both radio cars and ordinary metered taxis without any problem. The city is fairly easy to navigate and we haven't felt like we were being taken the long way.

    The other discovery of note is 'dulce con leche' which is like dark condensed milk. It is everywhere here, including being featured with deserts (see picture below!)

    Dogs are a feature here with most streets having many apartment buildings. As such, 7 am and 7pm are prime times for peeing and pooing! As a result, one is careful when walking on the pavements🙀

    Another feature has been the friendliness of the locals. Twice today, strangers stepped in to assist with our communications with people who had little English. I did manage to give a little back today when a woman with a white cane stopped me in the street and made it clear she wanted to know the name of the next cross street which I was able to tell her 😊.
    Read more