Satellite
  • Day 92

    Edinburgh National Museum, Scotland

    August 8, 2022 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    The Edinburgh National Museum is a free museum in Edinburgh Scotland. It acts as a Natural History Museum, Science Museum and a History Museum. It was pretty massive. We spent most of our time in the History area to get the story first-hand.

    They had a very interesting Geological exhibit about where the Scotland island was millions of years ago. Around the Pangaea timeframe. The said around 440 million years ago Scotland was actually joined to North America and Greenland. It was not yet connected to Britain. Later when Scotland and Britain did join (410 million years ago) it created a distinctive mountain range (now largely eroded) that acts as a natural barrier (now called the Border Hills) between these two regions.

    There was also an exhibit on how the Protestant reformation caused a complicated fracturing and merging of many different churches in Scotland.

    There were a number of other interesting exhibits which you can see in the pictures below. Truth be told we only glanced through the Natural and Science Museum areas despite them being pictured below.
    Read more