Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 157

    Golubac Fortress, Golubac Serbia

    October 12, 2022 in Serbia ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Golubac Fortress has had a tumultuous history. Prior to its construction in the 14th century, it was the site of a Roman settlement. During the Middle Ages, it became the object of many battles, especially between the Ottoman Empire and the Kingdom of Hungary. It changed hands repeatedly, passing between Turks, Bulgarians, Hungarians, Serbs, and Austrians, until 1867, when it was turned over to the Serbian Knez, Mihailo Obrenović III. It sits on the Danube River on the Serbian side and has beautiful views of Romania on the other side of the river.

    Until 2019, the fortress was not open to tourists. One of the reasons was that the fortress was used as a highway. Cars used to drive though the main gate and exit on the other side and continue down the west bank of the Danube. Today, there is still visible damage to the top of the main gate where busses and trucks scrapped the top.

    The fortress also has historical significance for Poland, and is frequented by Polish tourists. A polish national hero, Zawisza Czarny, or Zawisza the Black, died at the castle after a failed siege. He died attempting to save the King who was accidentally left behind while fleeing the Fortress to the east bank of the Danube. He returned and saved the King against the Ottoman Turks who held the fortress at that time.

    The fortress has one tower named "The Water Tower" the one with flags on top. This tower was not originally in the water, but a dam was built down stream raising the water level. Thus it was given its name much later.
    Read more