Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 209

    Cuisine de France

    December 3, 2022 in France ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    As expected, we found the French food is very creamy. From sweets to entrees, cream shares as cheeses were the norm. In fact it is common for the French to enjoy a simple dessert of a piece of cheese or a cheese plate with friends.

    A few of the pictures in this post may need further explanation.

    Tartines seems to be kind cheesy open sandwich. Emily's had Tomatoes, melted goat cheese and melted Bleu and Emmental cheese.

    Potato Sarladaise isn't as fancy as it sounds. It's duck fat fried potatoes with parsley. Probably the best fries I've had in Europe.

    Lots of pates as well as delicious French bread (some of the best bread we have had on this trip) are abundant.

    Fries are definitely an entrees friend if not mashed potatoes. Salads were covered in cheese.

    For breakfast coffee and a croissants were the norm as were other baked goods.

    All and all its been an enjoyable culinary experience tasting not only the cuisine of the country but specialty dishes of certain regions.

    In Bordeaux, their regional treat is the Canelé. Their consistency was surprising. They taste like (but I haven't looked up a recipe) they use their little French torches and cook ONLY the outside of them. So they have a crunch on the outside, but the inside is almost like raw dough. They're also not TOO sweet. Worth trying, but we found one to be enough.
    Read more