Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 291

    Seville, Spain

    February 23, 2023 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    1492 was a glorious year for Spain. It ensured the last Moorish stronghold of Granada fell to the Catholic king and queen Ferdinand and Isabella, ending over 800 years of Muslim rule in the south. It was also the year in which Christopher Columbus discovered the ‘New World’ on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, ushering in Spain’s Golden Age of the 16th and 17th centuries. During this time, the Spanish Empire became the largest and richest in the world. Indeed, the ‘discovery’ of the New World enabled Spain’s Catholic conquerors to consolidate their victory over the Moors in spectacular fashion – and at the heart of the country’s rapid extension of dominion and increase in wealth was the beautiful city of Seville.

    Seville was ideally placed to take advantage of trade with the newly-discovered Americas, situated as it is on the Quadalquivir river. This 408 mile-long river is Andalusia’s central artery and runs down from the mountains in Jaen, through Seville and out to the Atlantic Ocean via the Bay of Cadiz. When America was discovered, Seville marked a point on the river beyond which ships were unable to navigate further inland, meaning it became the key point of contact with the new outposts of Spain’s empire. Its supremacy was officially established in 1503, when a royal decree awarded Seville’s Puerto de Indias a trade monopoly on all goods imported from the Americas.

    Today Seville is a very relaxed yet bustling big capital of the Autonomous Region of Andalusia. Spanish Andalusia culture is alive and well here. Spaniards enjoy cafe and a chat with friends and coworkers at 5 and 6 followed by a return home. Then around 8pm families come out for drinks at local places followed by dinner at 10pm. Children run around streets until midnight. Most adults seem to be in by 1 or 2am. Nightlife is exemplified by this country indeed. Seville is known for 2 things. Tapas which are small plates of food to snack on. Usually priced from 2-5 euros much cheaper than what we find in the states. In fact one dinner we had included 6 beers, and plenty of food for 3 and ended up costing ~$35 - $40. They are also famous for Flamenco dancing, which we saw a show at a local dive in Seville. This may be Emily's favorite city. It had wonderful culture, friendly people, and beautiful moorish architecture.

    "Photosphere" of Piaza de Espana
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/bNNwyPs8oZHQe1ct5
    Read more