Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 66

    Penguin Parade

    March 7, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 19 °C

    We sat on the sand waiting for sunset, so we could watch the penguin parade on Phillip Island.

    It was freezing, but we got there a bit early so we could get close to the fence to see the penguins, because they’re only 30 cm tall. The penguins are dark blue on their back and white on their stomach, so they camouflage with the water, making it hard for us to see when they are swimming. Once they’re on the beach, they hide in the seaweed until it is safe to quickly waddle up the beach. Some of the penguins were so fat they could barely waddle up the beach because they have been eating small fish, squid and krill for two weeks. The penguins can dive up 60 m, 80,000 times a day for its food. They spend this long eating because they are getting ready to moult for three weeks.

    After we watched the penguin parade, we went for a walk along the boardwalk, we saw some penguin burrows, moulting penguins and even some babies getting fed.

    On the night we went to see the penguins, 2121 penguins waddled up to their borrows. Little penguins only live in Australia and New Zealand, Phillip Island is one of the only places you can see little penguins in Australia.
    Read more