Satellite
  • Day 14

    One Night in Kandy!

    May 3, 2018 in Sri Lanka

    Destination: Kandy, Sri Lanka
    #CityCount: 7
    #FlightCount: 5

    So we headed back to Kandy for one night before going more south, initially we were going to spend 2 days in Kandy, but after speaking to a German girl who had just finished traveling a bit of Sri Lanka, she advised that if we didn’t like Colombo, we should skip Kandy...we decided to go halfway...so we lugged all our bags to the opposite side of the road outside our Hotel - luckily we were on the main Kandy road, and waited for an AC bus....for like 45mins...with one of the poor tour guides from the resort helping us flag the bus down. He could for the life of us, not understand why we kept saying no to like 12 buses going passed - we didn’t REALLY need AC he said...we stood firm and thank goodness we did, we took a non-AC bus trip later on in the trip and OMW...Scariest experience EVER!

    So we headed to Kandy with all intentions of doing plenty of sightseeing etc. 🙈...4am wake-up call hit us HARD! We were starving so we were off looking for some more local food, and had an amazing meal of, well we not so sure 😉 feel like they sort of made it up just for us. Still was good!

    Then we decided a walk on the lake would be a great way to end the day...and not pay a fortune to get into any temples or sights...

    It was pretty cool - it’s an artificial lake...but there was nothing fake about it...really was spectacular and there were LOADS of fresh water turtles in the lake...We didn’t know that there were fresh water turtles till Kandy!!

    Then it started to drizzle and we were like aaaah so amazing in the rain, while it’s hot...till it wasn’t a drizzle anymore 🙈...and that’s when we called it. Back to the hotel and had an early night!

    We picked up our train tickets on the way and headed off to sleep 😴
    Read more