Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 64

    03.10.2024 Saigon, Vietnam Day 3/4

    March 10 in Vietnam ⋅ ☁️ 86 °F

    Today we checked out of our hotel and met up with other Viking Guest to take a private boat excursion up from the Siagon River to the Mekong River to the Mekong Delta. We were with Melinda, Duncan, Tom, Kathleen, Tom, Kat, Emily and Te.
    We cruised along and made our first stop at a family home (bathroom break) Those who live along the Delta are much poorer and farm. They also raise ducks and in some cases pythons to sell. A fascinating life.
    As we continued up the Delta we stopped at a local market where fresh fruits, vegetables, fish and meat can be purchased.
    We then visited a Hindu Temple.
    As we continued on we stopped a school that is run by Buddhist Monks. The children from the country can attend school there for free. It a boarding school and they only go home twice per year. If they were to attend school in Saigon that would have to pay and most are too poor.
    Our final stop was for a traditional Vietnamese lunch. It consisted of seafood, lotus stems, rice, ginger chicken, garlic chicken, pork and morning glory stems in garlic. They were delicious.
    This was followed by fruits that were all types apples that we cannot pronounce their real names but they were water apple, milk apple, star apple,and custard apple The also gave everyone a taste of rice whiskey. And we ended with coconut water.
    We return to our boat, retrace our steps and go back to Saigon. An amazing day!
    We are dropped off at the e opera House where catch the Viking shuttle back to the ship. We had an amazing three days step nights in Vietnam but we are tired and ready for a hot shower.
    It’s prime rib night and was delicious.
    Diana retired to our cabin to post this blog and Myron went to listen to a singer.
    Read more