Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 98

    04.13.2024 Walvis Bay, Namibia

    April 13 in Namibia ⋅ ☁️ 59 °F

    We were at sea this morning and docked in Walvis Bay at 3:00 pm. We have a very short stay here so they created a special event tour for all the passengers and even some crew. Here are the details:
    A Special Event in the Valley of the Moon, in the heart of the Namib Desert. Marvel at its sheer size and arid moon like topography of this desolate area which was on a big mountain range. Erosion from the past 2 million years has reduced it to the rolling low lying hills that they are today. We would like to invite you to come and join us in this magical otherworldly desert where you will be greeted by a marimba band and enjoy some snacks and drinks. Later you will also enjoy a performance by an African choir which will mesmerize you against the back drop of the sun setting on this extraordinary landscape. The Nambi Desert is the oldest desert in the world.
    But first we attend the 11:00 am Guest Lecture with Mr. Russell Lee: "Sand:
    The Story of Civilization... as Told by a Speck."
    Sift through the history of the natural resource critical to both ancient and modern civilizations.
    We went through immigration and loaded into a 4 WD vehicle. Ernest was our driver and he was full of facts.
    Flamingoes, Pelicans, Sand Dunes, Moon Rocks Landscapes, Mirimbas, Choir, Sunset, Food, Wine, Beer. An unforgettable experience.
    Fabulous!!!
    Read more