Satellite
  • Day 91

    Hot Hot Hot

    February 27, 2016 in Paraguay ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    So we arrive in Asuncion at 7 in the morning and I'm more than grateful we are in one piece with all our luggage. We get a taxi to the hostel amd we're shown our dorm. The hostel is set in a working factory which is great for people who are travelling because they can stay here and work at the same time. A Russian girl called Evgeniia works here and shows us to our room. The room even though a dorm just has me and Mark in it and is set in the prettiest garden. We have a quick chat then head out to explore the city. There are so many beautiful colonial buildings here and we walk towards the river. There is a warship here that I think is still in operation, however I'm informed later in the day that it's actually a museum. There is masses of poverty here , with whole families living under tarpaulin, washing there clothes in the river and literally just behind the are all the big presidential buildings.
    After an hour or so we head back to the hostel , the heat here is crazy ,easily in the 40s and walking around in it feels like I,ve just done a marathon. When we arrive back Evgeniia is packing, the Russian Embassy have told her she must leave today and go to Buenos Aires (I hope someone else here speaks English) we quickly say our goodbyes and there is only one thing for it in this heat.....Siesta.
    We sleep for 5 hours and awake to find Adrian the owner of the hostel outside , we are invited to join him for a couple of beers and we're more than relieved to find he speaks good English. There are a couple of Columbians a French guy and a guy called Eric fom Chile. We all sit and share a few beers , I discuss with Mark there is no way we can sleep without air con tonight, I honestly don't think I'll get out alive if I stayed in this room so we pack our stuff and move to the room with air con. Its like being in a luxury hotel . After a few hours I leave the boys to chat manly things and retire to my bed, today has drained me physically and mentally.
    Read more