Satellite
  • Day 13

    Ascoli - Watch out the Cottons are Here

    May 18, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    We managed to survive our castle visit without meeting the resident ghost. I tried to keep that bit of info from Graham (I didn't realise when I booked that is was haunted) but it was the main topic of discussion at breakfast so the secret was out. Lucky she must have been having a holiday. Headed up from Ascoli and had a fabulous lunch with Stefano's family. They are so lovely and Graham and Stefano's brother swapped police stories.
    Deb was lucky enough to go in the car with Graham to Ascoli and apparently he hit a pedestrian. He seemed pretty happy about it so I assume they were ok. I don't think I want to ask.
    Warning - bad language to follow.
    Stefano took us to a soccer match. It was so entertaining, on so many levels - you didn't know where to look. There were the cheap seats (where you don't get a seat) and all the diehard supporters were there, and then we must have been VIP cause we actually had a seat. The crowd were singing and chanting, setting of flares, jumping up and down for the whole match. "What are they singing Deb?" "Fuck off". "Oh that's nice."
    "What are they singing now?" "Still fuck off."
    So there seems to be a recurring theme.
    The Italian language is very beautiful and colourful. There are about fifty different words for whore and we heard most of them tonight.
    Anyway back to the soccer. It was such a spectacle; we weren't sure where to look. The riot police were called in to separate the fans after they had a bit of a punch up between the fence, There were punch ups on the field. Firemen were running around putting out the flares and our old mate in front of us who got very drunk and got his penis out to wave at the opposition fans. That'll tell them!
    Unfortunately the game was a nil all draw, so to make us feel better we had gelati at 11pm and pizza at midnight. As you do.
    Ernesto is keeping us all on our toes. He's such a character, but I think Ernie and Graham together spells trouble!
    Read more