Satellite
  • Day 39

    The people I met

    February 22, 2020 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    I‘m waiting for my flight to Mexico City and Guatemala and I’m reflecting about my experiences in this country. The first thought that crosses my mind is the sheer size, the beauty both off mountains and beach, the big differences in culture, customs, traditions, food, art, architecture from one state to another, and the diversity of people and their kindness and love.
    I tried to reflect upon in my post’s and now I’m wrapping up.
    Being me I always prefer to listen to people stories rather than talking about landmarks.

    ANGEL, Architeckt who’s last name is the same as his GGGG grandfather’s owner.

    HECTOR, networker, fundraiser, an Architect who promotes art in order to empower prisoners and wants to tell the world how amazing the Art in Mexiko is. In March 2020 the first Arts Institute opens in Yucatan. He has been one of the main drivers.

    IGOR, a gifted Artist, a graduate from a New Work Art school, a sensitive and beautiful soul which is very much concerned about his fellow citizens and the world. He advises Hector on his journey.
    I hope he makes it to Basel ART this year. At least he has a place to stay.

    ALBERTO, a psychologist, convicted of 16 years in prison because of a rash decision to kidnap his two children but then brought them back shortly after. In Prison he writes not one but 4 books about his experiences in prison, gets a online degree in counseling and counsels fellow prisoners. Now back in the circle of not-in-confined-spaces-locked-up-people and working. But aren’t we all somehow locked up in thoughts, emotions, patterns, situation, spirit? I think we are.

    ARIANA, lawyer, poet, feminist, traveler, lover of life and Toastmaster addict. Intense, demanding, proud, self reliant, strong, don’t takes shit. Loved her!

    BETO, this crazy multitalented, funny, energetic individual. Soon you will download his App and learn how to play an instrument in very short time! He wants to date my daughter Federica. No chance!!!!!!

    MILENA, digital nomad (Serbia, digital marketing). She has her own business with 26 years, fights for woman’s right and the environment. Avid hiker and nature girl.
    If back in the days the digital nomadism existed - I most certainly would have been one! But in my 20ties Computer for people just became available.

    JONATHAN, A jew from New York City how he likes to calls himself. SO I CAN CALL HIM AS WELL, CAN? Passionate musician/singer and not so passionate programmer. He is this non-judge mental, no-nonsense survivor of the sixties. Amazing individual with endless first hand experienced knowledge about any topic you name.
    He travels alone because his wife does not like to travel. His travel stories are funny and inspiring. But I realized - I’m his age in ten years🤭😳. If I’m lucky I have ten more years to travel. IT IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!!

    Bubbly, energetic SOFIA fromMonterrey, Mexico and her boyfriend Erick.... yes that seems to be a Mexican name.
    Sofia spoke about the problematic situation of her town. It’s on the route of drug trafficking. The point; She, her boyfriend, their families, their friends and friends of friends. She doesn’t know a single soul who has NOT lost somebody very close to them.
    But she also whispered secret stories in my ear, whilst Jonathan and Erick were discussing..... what men discuss.

    And then of course there are my friends MIKE (Russian/Israeli) and OXANNA (Mongolian) . A friendship of likeminded souls. This was only our third encounter, but the first was enough to establish a bond. Digital Nomads (programmer) with 7-year old Alan. They let me generously stay at their place and did not throw me out of the house, even after 15 days! They let me settle into traveling mode, adjust to climate and people, show me around. We could all sit at the dining table in perfect silence, mistreating our computer’s - until we had a dinner cooked by Oxanna. For example Borscht!

    I’m literally in awe of all of you. Passion, courage, determination, inspiration, self-consciousness, bravery, patience and much more defines you. You made trip letting me glimpse into your lives. Thank you for your stories, To trust me with your stories.
    I take with me all of it, they are now part of my own being.
    Claudia
    Read more