Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    A trying day on the road

    July 1, 2022 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 16 °C

    We visited the Barra centre before leaving Karumba. It turns out this was very interesting. They have released thousands of baby Barra back into the creeks and lakes of the Gulf region. It is both a hatchery and an information centre.
    The day turned a bit ugly and we unexpectedly encountered very wet roads. This resulted in a very slow trip, very dirty car and some unplugged and damaged plugs from the car to the caravan. We are now on our third Andersen plug for the trip. We arrived at Burketown slightly before 3pm and after noticing the damaged plugs at our toilet stop, the first one where I encountered a road in the toilet bowl!🤣, we headed immediately to the mechanics. He was able to fix it but it wasn’t until after 5 that we had it all fixed. By then we had realised there was nowhere to stay in Burketown. We thought we’d head to the roadhouse about 20 mins down the road. Unfortunately a fairly matter of fact woman met us and told us her camp area was closed due to mud and we’d be best advised not to pull off the road as we would likely get bogged. So, breaking our pledge not to travel in the darkness we very slowly headed off to Gregory. The Darkness crept in quickly and we soon found ourselves on high alert with many cattle and Roos on or crossing the road. We were stared down by many a bull as we dared to interrupt their rest.
    Finally made it to Gregory roadhouse around 7:40. We joined about 20 other vans on the gravel by the pub, headed into the pub/roadhouse for a Parma and then went to bed.
    Read more