Satellite
  • Day 1

    KL-Bangkok-Oslo-Reykjavik

    September 7, 2018 in Norway ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    One of my most awaited trips - Iceland. We managed to get super cheap flight tickets using Thai Airways. Flew from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok and then an 11 hour flight to Oslo. Transitted at Oslo Airport for 6 hours and then took Icelandair for 2 hours to Reykjavik. Arrived at 2.00pm local time. Our rental car was waiting at the airport so we hopped aboard and began our Icelandic adventure.

    Weirdly though, we decided to go souvenir window shopping but ended up buying some instead. Thought we scout and compare prices first but instead gave in to tempation. We went to Laugavegur for this. Its a lively street with many energetic folks dancing and laughing about.

    After that we walked down to the seaside and saw the Sun Voyager sculpture where many other tourists were swarming about taking pictures. The wind was strong and cold so we headed back up the road and ended up at Hallgrímskirkja church. This 74.5m church is the largest church in Iceland and also amongst the tallest structures in the country. Even the interior is extravagant with a huge organ on one wall.

    By then, it was already almost 8pm, so we got into the car and drove to Grotta lighthouse to see the sunset. Sunset was at 8.30pm and we made it there at 8.10pm. We took some pictures and quickly scurried back to our car as the wind was blowing colder than ever.

    With daylight running low, we checked into our hostel which was fairly near. It was called Reykjavik City Hostel and it has a kitchen so cooked spaghetti bolognese (we brought a whole lot of food supplies from home in order to save costs). At first we thought we got the whole room of 3 bunk beds to ourselves but 2 hours later 2 other guests appeared. Anyway, it wasn't too big of a deal as we were all tired and nodded off to sleep soon enough.
    Read more