Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    TdP - Chileno>Laguna Amarga

    April 11, 2023 in Chile ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

    Chileno Campsite > Base Las Torres > Centro Bienvenida > Puerto Natales
    16km

    Another cold night, somewhat improved by gloves on feet and feet in sleeves of puffy jacket (top tip). Must have been -4 overnight, I looked it up later and it doesn’t get much colder than -5 most of the time even in winter here. Chilly! Up at 5:30am to hike 2 hours in the dark to the Base Las Torres mirador for sunrise at 8am. This is the most famous part of the park, the enormous monolithic towers of white rock jutting out of the valley . It was both sweaty and cold hiking up the rocky icy path. Made it about 15 minutes early to see the towers slowly come into view in the early morning light. Then for maybe 2 minutes they are cast in glowing orange light by the rising sun. Amazing! Hopped around to stay warm, and about 20 minutes later the full sun hit the top of the towers, now with bright yellow reflecting in the lake below. It was incredible!! And perfect weather.
    Then slowly hike down to the camp and pack up for the last segment back to the end of the W trail. Hiked the last part with a few people from the hostel I had met before in Natales. Made it down to catch the bus back to Natales at around 3:30pm. Felt good to get back to a warm hostel and shower. Had pizza and beer with the guys and slept so deep!!

    Some people I met along the way: Zach, dude from Minnesota who has beeen travelling for 4 years. Mario, Costa Rican who works remotely (jealous!). Anna, French girl who went to school in London. Marcus, pilot for British Airways 👨‍✈️. Chatted a bit with some folks from Toronto as well, and some from Montreal.

    I liked hiking alone, but camping alone like that is pretty boring to be honest. Too cold to do much or sit outside, not really a place to chat or get to know other people, and at the end of the day I’m pretty exhausted anyways and not that much feeing like meeting new people. Missed Malina to play Crib with or just chill together and chat about the day!

    That was my longest hike ever actually, around 90km in 5 days. All in all really successful!! Sore legs and feet but no injuries or blisters, amazing weather other than the first day or so, and the landscape was absolutely amazing.
    Woo! 🥾🗻
    Read more