Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Montevideo

    April 21, 2023 in Uruguay ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    Bus to el Calafate, flight to Buenos Aires. Figured out the city bus into the centre and got there around midnight. Slept in a bit, Had a relaxed morning and walked around the streets a bit, got a haircut. Happened to bump into Domenica, someone we met at the Spanish school in Ecuador. Small world! But had to run to the ferry so didn’t have time to chat much.

    Ferry about an hour crossing the huge Rio de la Plata over to Colonia, Uruguay 🇺🇾. Then bus right away a couple hours to the capital city Montevideo and met Mario and Svenja who were also there for the weekend. Arrived and got some food and chilled a bit, then had some beers in the evening at a bar on the street, and kind of spontaneously went to a club! Haha. Only for like an hour, but it was fun dancing to Spanish regaeton that I don’t recognise. We were the only white people there which is always a fun/weird feeling.

    The next day I had a free day in Montevideo to explore, did a walking tour around the old city which was good. Some facts:
    - Uruguay is about 45% atheist. 3.5 million people, 15 million cows.
    - At plaza zabala, there is a fountain with spelling mistakes on the carving, and penis-shapes on the fence around it because the architect was mad at the owner.
    - Uruguay is the most democratic/least corrupt country in South America, is very advanced concerning human rights/gay rights etc. Weed is legal here.
    - President is a surfer.
    - The painting of the revolutionary hero Artigas hangs in every school etc, was painted by a guy that never saw him and it doesn’t look at all like him.
    - City name Montevideo = Monte (hill) + VI (Roman numeral 6 for six hills + D=de (from) + E (east) + O (west). There are 6 hills in the region, apparently that’s the why they named it Montevideo (Seems iffy but that’s what the guide said).
    - Mate 🧉. You see it everywhere in Argentina aswell, Maté is tea that everyone drinks constantly wherever they go. You bring a thermos of hot water, some of the tea, and a little cup with a special straw. It’s really funny, you see everyone carrying a thermos under their arm all the time! It tastes kinda bitter, and has a lot of caffeine I guess. Never thought id find a culture that drinks tea more than the English!

    Then chill afternoon just checking out the city, found a lot of people fishing on the pier. Next morning bus to Colonia.
    Read more