Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Humahuaca

    May 4, 2023 in Argentina ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Next short bus to the next village: Humahuaca. Arrived early enough to check in and then get a quick taxi to a nearby village where there is a canyon called Quebrada de las Senoritas. About a 40 minute hike through some desert with super red rock formations, up through a big red canyon. Pretty cool, but kind of a lot of other tourists in a small path. I wanted to do another little hike nearby to get away from people and explore a bit, but they got mad at me and said you need a guide for that section for “safety” 🤨. It was like that a few times in this area of Argentina, I find it really annoying that it’s impossible to hike and explore a bit by yourself. So then I walked back and took the bus back to Humahuaca.
    The village is a little bigger and more touristy than the others, but also kind of nice. Lots of people selling crafts and empanadas.
    The other bug attraction here is the Hornocal, a range of rainbow mountains nearby. Got a ride for around 45 minutes way up into the mountains at 4300 meters! Then he gave us about 50 minutes to take pictures and walk a bit down to a viewpoint. It was nice, and really impressive mountains, but unfortunately cloudy so I didn’t get the full bright colours. I wanted to wait another 15 minutes for the sun to set completely because it looked like it might come out for a bit, but the driver insisted on hurtling back down the hill, so that was a bit stupid too. Oh well.
    Ran into Olga again at the hostel, the sailor woman from a couple days ago, and a Brazilian guy called Renato. Had a nice evening chatting with them. She used to work in fashion design for huge famous designers and had some stories about how crazy that world is, even more than you imagine from the movies!
    Next morning took the bus north to the border and crossed into Bolivia!
    Read more