Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Mahajanga - final stop in Madagascar

    April 8, Mozambique Channel ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Today we are at sea and playing catch up on photos, sleep and starting to think about return flights etc.
    Yesterday, we had a very early departure from the ship to travel inland through Mahajanga to Lake Mangasta, a sacred lake.
    https://chocolatecreamandhoney.wordpress.com/20…

    while less than 20 km from the ship, the ride took over an hour across very bumpy, poorly graded, and often single lane roads. again in older vans w no a.c. and 100 degree heat, this is the norm.

    Upon arrival, we walked a path through a forest and discovered so many lemurs just overhead. it is debatable to think about who was more curious w the siting - the lemurs seemed equally fascinated w us. we then walked to the lake , eeing beautiful birds and iguanas. bird names to be edited later.

    back to the ship via zodiacs for clean up, happy hour, supper and evening recap. today, we are at sea and on our way toward Tanzania and Zanzibar. tomorrow we will visit a world Unesco site. We'd will be Stone Town, Zanzibar and Thursday a quick city tour of Dar es Salaam before heading to the airport for a very long flight(s) home.

    What an amazing journey this has been, and not quite done!
    Read more