Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    A great destination

    July 17, 2021 ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    After passing through the Raz de Sein we continue our passage from Camaret to Loctudy . We were hoping to go to Anchor for a few days in îles de Glenan but the wind forecast lead us to believe Loctudy was a better option. It is a long day at sea and thankfully by lunchtime Ruby and Colm are over the worst of the effects of the sleep inducing seasickness medication.
    We pass Phare D’Eckmuhl, the lighthouse at Penmarch - ‘gateway to the sun’. We see an extraordinary athletic display from
    Dolphins as they are hunting around the point. They are torpedos moving through the water and we see them jumping and diving, bounding towards their prey. The seabirds swirling and diving add to the whole excitement of the scene we find ourselves in. We have no photos as the dolphins were much too fast for our amateur photography.
    Later in the afternoon there is only a light breezy and the sun is beating down on the boat. We jury-rig the back canopy to shade the helm. Our ETA in Loctudy is 6pm. We see the mainland on our Port and on our starboard we begin to see îles de Glenans. Everyone had been disappointed in Camerat when we had made the decision to change our destination from anchoring off islands of the Glenans. Now we could see them right there and they were indeed ‘Caribbean-like’ ,as the good guide book said, it made it even more difficult to head to Loctudy. Ronan and I had a private pow-wow at the bow and came back to Ruby and Colm with the good news that we were changing course to Starboard. We anchored below the lighthouse on île de Penfret with little wind and hot sun delighted with our decision.
    Read more