Satellite
  • Day 81

    A Fuengirola Birthday

    September 30, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Fuengirola is a massive tourist town and every kind of activity is available on our doorstep.
    We pass the water sports centres everyday at the marina and see their gaudy advertisements - pictures of people having a whale of a time out on the water. And so we are sucked in and we book Parasailing to celebrate Ruby’s birthday.

    She turns thirteen today and she has the whole day planned to perfection including booking Parasailing at 12 pm. This, she tells us, will allow us enough time to digest our breakfast pancakes before being thrust skyward.
    The day goes perfectly according to plan and she gets a few surprises too.
    After breakfast we give her the cards and gifts that have been smuggled on board by Nana and Grandad when they visited - she is thrilled with the love that has been sent from home.

    Next stop is parasailing with 6 other tourists rigged-out on the fun boat. The ride is bumpy and there are varying degrees of trepidation onboard. A few others go first and then Ronan and Colm. Next Ruby and I harness up and take off from the back of the boat. As we are lifted by the wind in the parasail the noise and motion of the boat dissipates and all is quite, slow and serene up in the air and yet simultaneously thrilling. It is magical and we are all delighted with the experience.
    Next up is ice-cream and fun in the waves with our body boards. We are back to the boat at 3.30, as per the schedule, to watch ‘Cruella’. This movie is courtesy of Steve and Helen who put several movies on a USB stick for Ruby and Colm back in Rota. It is roasting on the boat but the kids don’t notice as they are so engrossed in the movie.
    After a birthday zoom with the Schull cousins we go out to cafe Bing for Sushi . All is going according to Ruby’s plan as she wants to continue the tradition of going for Sushi for her birthday. It is not however in our young teenager’s plan to be the centre of attention in the busy restaurant. And so we send a little surprise her way in the form of a singing waiter who brings her cake and sings happy birthday.
    On returning to Regal, the final item on Ruby’s agenda is ticked. We eat her real birthday cake - The Raspberry cheesecake she made yesterday. A sweet end to a perfect day.
    Read more