Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 405

    Vulcano

    August 20, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    This blog is written by Colm

    As we approach Isla Vulcano in the early evening we are greeted by an amazing view of the sea stacks in the channel between the island and its neighbour Limpari. When we look up at Vulcano’s crater we see the fumarole vents on the semi-active volcano constantly puffing out smoke.
    We round the corner into the bay and a sulphurous rotten egg smell hits us. This is from the bubbling mud baths and underwater vents nearby. We drop anchor and get used to the smell during dinner.
    The next day we walk to the mud baths but they are closed because the mud is too hot. So we head for the crater instead but soon find out that it is also closed. The pathway is blocked with tape and there are warning signs. The reason for the closure is because there is more toxic gas than usual coming from the fumaroles.
    Here we meet an equally disappointed Canadian man called Steve. He took the fast foiling ferry from Sicily here today, specifically to climb to the crater.
    We throw caution to the wind and all duck under the barrier and start our illegal walk.
    After a few twists and turns, Ruby and Dad decide to turn around while Steve, Mom and I continue . We meet other people coming back down the path and they say it’s safe enough so we climb for forty minutes all the way to the summit. There is a very nice vista of the other islands and in the bay way down below, we see Régal. . We can also see down to the bottom of the huge crater and some of the rock is turned green from the volcanic vents. Luckily the wind is blowing the gas away from us.
    We then walk back the scorched mountainside with Steve and meet Dad and Ruby in town. After hearing all about our adventure, Dad and Ruby decide to return to climb to the crater.
    Meanwhile Mom and I go exploring again. We swim from the boat to find the underwater bubbling fumaroles. They are very cool and very stinky.
    The next day Dad, Mom and I go to the under water vents again to see the amazing bubbles. The are lots of fish around and we watch a moray eel feeding around the rocks.
    We’re sad to leave this magnificent volcanic island but happy to leave the rotten egg smell.
    Read more