Satellite
  • Day 81

    Camping Wawayanda Creek 1355.5

    July 23, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    We both didn't sleep very well at the Shelter so we both were already awake when the alarm went off. Maybe it was just the excitement that we would get free sodas at the High Point State Park Headquarters :D
    So that was our first target for the day to have breakfast there. We also met there "Dancing bear" again, whose cap we found at the Mohican Outdoor Center and finally return to him. Directly afterwards we came by the High Point Tower which is the highest point in the whole state of New Jersey. I wonder how long it took them to decide to name it like this... We didn't walk the additional 0.3 miles up to there though. As I mentioned before, thru hikers are lazy off the trail. At least we are :) And we had more miles to go, so we hiked on until it almost got dark... We're not going to do night hiking anymore as long as it is not necessary to get somewhere at a specific time or we know that it will be a nice hike (no stones!!). The additional effort is usually not worth it.
    The last part was over a swamp area that was really pretty in the evening. We ended up camping under a footbridge that leads over Wawayanda Creek.

    Additionally we have a new date that we are shooting for. The "End of trails" festival in Millinocket Maine from the 15th to the 17th of September. So we want to reach Kathadin latest by the 15th to make it to there. According to the description it's a music festival with a "chili cook-off, more food and plenty of beer".
    To make it we need to average almost exactly 16 miles per day, which doesn't sound too bad. But we'll do about two zeros in New York, buying resupplies and then there are the Whites where you make 12 miles on a good day. So I think it's a challenging goal.
    Read more