Satellite
  • Day 108

    Kinsman Notch 1800.4

    August 19, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    We knew we would have time in the morning until Fabi will arrive so we tried to sleep in until 7 but our inner clock woke us up at the usual time around 6. I've went ahead to the Hikers Welcome Hostel to prepare breakfast and check on the shuttle to the trailhead after Mt Moosilauke.
    There was a breakfast available at the hostel, for just 5$ with pancakes and bacon and eggs but we had so much left that it didn't make sense to buy it. As we were still hungry afterwards, I've checked the platters and got some free pancakes :) We've also resupplied our bodies with coffee. So after another hour Fabi arrived with the rental car to join us until tomorrow. He is a friend from my home area who is in the US mainly for business reasons but also has some recreational time. We got shuttled by "Bag of Tricks" and started to hike up the mountain.
    The first part of it was pretty intense with steep climbs and wet rocks. But it was still nice not to have to lift the whole weight of the backpack up every boulder and we've reached the foggy summit a bit later. Just as we wanted to sit down for lunch it started to clear and we got a beautiful views all over the surrounding area. The way down was pretty easy and chill so we arrived back at the hostel at around 6 and had enough time for a relaxed beer :)
    Then we had some great grilled hot dogs for dinner, a proper meal for hikers. Before it got too late, we headed to the Shelter to set up our camp for the night. Fabi slept in the Shelter while we stayed in our tent. This long day came to an end after we sat around the fireplace, had nice conversations and drank our beers. It was a great day on - and of course off - the trail.
    Read more