Satellite
  • Day 9

    Nelson Bay

    April 17, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    We spent the morning in Crescent Heads to enjoy the sun and beach. For our next destination we wanted to go Koala spotting. When looking online for the "best spots", it said Port Stephens but unfortunately we weren't able to find any along the Harbour. Instead we saw some big pelicans and the unique Australian kingfisher Kookaburra. A local fisherman told us about the nearby Brindisi beach that is famous for the sand dunes. He also told us that sand from there was shipped to Hawaii to create the beach in Honolulu there.
    When we came there we saw a sign "4WD access to beach". We thought that it is a great opportunity to make up for the missed 90 mile beach in New Zealand and also for testing the performance of the car in terrain. After 200 meters into the sand we got stuck because the 4WD wasn't working at all :( Fortunately some locals came by and after two hours with combined forces of about 6 people we managed to get out again. At some point a heavy duty Ute got stuck as well because of us. So the test failed pretty badly and we need to check a mechanic at some point before heading to the Outback.
    For the night we went to a freedom Camping spot next to a golf club. There we saw our first kangaroos :)
    Read more