Satellite
  • Day 12

    Mt Bromo

    June 25, 2018 in Indonesia ⋅ 🌧 15 °C

    48 hours on the bus and ferries 😩😩😓 I got pretty sick due to a ridiculously high A/C and also suffered from a sunburn on my whole back... In between we rode for about two hours on top of a mini bus and all the kids (also some adults) were waving and cheering at us. I suppose that usually the Westerners are not going on top 😁 We made another stop in Denpasar to get our big luggage back before moving on in direction of Java. At 6 in the morning we finally arrived in Probolinggo from where the mini buses departed to Mt Bromo. They told us that it may take a while until the bus is completely full but we thought that they were just trying to scam us... Unfortunately we waited for 4 hours with just four more people showing up so we decided to pay more to go straight away! Blood suckers!!! But the driver also suggested a homestay which was nice, clean and cheaper than other options...
    After a badly needed shower and a bit of rest we went out to see Mt Bromo even though it was raining and foggy. It was quite a spectacular sight being right on the rim of the crater and seeing the smoke coming out so close. There we also met the other two couples again that shared the bus with us, they are a really nice company and we enjoyed the late afternoon together.
    At 8 we went to sleep because we got up at 3 in the morning to hike about 6 kilometers along a ridge line to get to a viewpoint to watch the sunrise. I was still a bit weak from being sick so the hike wasn't as easy as I thought it would be... Anyways we made it up there in time to see the sunrise! But it was a little bit cloudy so it wasn't as spectacular as Uluru with the sunray slowly enlightening the whole structure. But still worth it!! :) We treated ourselves with a all-you-eat breakfast buffet 🤩
    Read more