Satellite
  • Day 14

    Borobodur

    June 27, 2018 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    After an unplanned detour to Malang (it does sound too similar to Magelang 😁) we arrived a day later than planned in Magelang, close to Yogyakarta. There we got a hotel room for the same price as the homestays and guest houses that we were used to. This turned out to be a good thing because we could watch the world cup in the evening...
    After a few hours of rest we went out to see the nearby Borobodur Temple. Unfortunately we couldn't find a place to rent a scooter so we took a Grab (like Uber) to there. The entrance fee was with 25 USD very high for tourists compared to other attractions/temples. At least a drink was included ☺️ The temple complex is located pretty prominent on top of a hill and after two major restaurations in good shape. But there are public holidays so it was most of the time pretty crowded. We still enjoyed the trip and even found a calm spot on the backside of the temple to embrace the view. It's the largest Buddhist Temple in the world and of great importance. But there were no Buddhist monks around, just Indonesian Tourists who completely ignored every sign telling people not to smoke or sit on the pyramid steps...
    Read more