Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 92

    Formula 1 Race Day

    April 2, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    We arrived as the gates opened, people were running to get their spot on the track. We were lucky enough to score a spot on the fence at turn three with an un-interrupted view of the track and a big screen behind us. We were partly shaded and could sit and relax between races. That was it, we weren’t moving for six hours.
    We watched F3, F2, and V8 Supercar drivers race with little to no regard for each other and their machines as they muscled their way around the track forcing each other into early retirements, making for some very exiting racing. The time flew by with so much happening on the track and before we could blink the F1 drivers paraded around in the back of convertibles, the excitement was building exponentially.
    The race was nail biting for the first laps with cars being tossed from the track. The drivers then settled into a grove for the mid part of the race. Things i will remember are Charles’s Ferrari crashing right in front of us on the first lap, the Mercedes both leading after an incredible start but then George Russels engine catching on fire which retired him. Lewis lead for a while before Max passed and then seemed to pull away with ease. Magnussen also stopped right in front after kissing the wall and loosing a wheel. The late part of the race was awesome with a standing grid restart with 2 laps remaining, bunching the cars up and many drivers throwing everything at it to improve their positions. This resulted it carnage all over the track and great entertainment for spectators, with a lot happening right in front of us at turn 3. But after the dust settled, Max Verstappen was victorious in his Red Bull, and incredibly his team mate Sergio Perez started P20 in Pitt Lane and climbed back to P5.
    I have never been to an event where the crowd was so electrified, people were on the edge of their seat shouting, gasping and applauding the F1 gladiators as they raced around the circuit. The crowd even commiserated strongly with the fallen soldiers as they exited their mangled machinery after being hurtled into concrete walls at ridiculous speeds. Even the race officials were applauded for swiftly removing cars from the track.
    We stayed late to watch bands Sneaky Sound System and Birds of Tokyo which had everyone up and dancing.
    All in all it was a spectacular day that I will remember for ever……..
    Attending a Formula 1 event 😊✅
    Read more