Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    From the fisherman to the Kitchen

    February 8 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Being very much still a working fishing village, each morning we would see the fisherman returning with piles of fish. One morning Jehan had come back from a walk with some delicious fresh fish filleted right on the beach in front of him. Keen for the same experience, we stopped at one of the boats a few mornings later and asked if we could get some.

    In my broken Spanish, I asked if they had any “Dorado”, which is what they call Mahi Mahi. Now I don’t know exactly how big Dorado or Mahi Mahi normally are, but the size of the fish this guy pulled out of a big esky on the boat was ridiculous! Keep in mind that these are just a small basic long boat that are common around here and places throughout Asia, not a trawler or anything like that. Once we had corrected a misunderstanding between 1kg and 11kg, the guy sliced off a fillet, seamlessly removed the skin and handed me a massive chunk of delicious fresh fish.

    With some inspiration from a very extroverted Mexican neighbour that we’d had at Posada Kaly, we set about making our very own Ceviche. It’s made by simply marinating the diced fish in lime juice, before mixing it in with diced tomato, cucumber, coriander and red onion. Both fresh and super easy.

    Anyway, its definitely something that the pictures tell the story much better. With Ceviche barely making a dent in how much fish we had, dinner was an easy stirfry vege with delicious grilled fillets and still there was enough for our own battered fish tacos the next day.
    Read more