Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    tortilla making stop

    April 5, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    next stop was to make traditional tortillas. they had a metal press that was more like a stool. the stove was a big wood burning platform where a rounded structure was on top. it was built up with bricks and a round metal pan was on top. this was where you cooked the tortilla. there was a layer of powder, limestone?? or just lime ??? that was on the stove top. Alejandro tried to explain the process to us, but from wikki: traditional corn is soaked in limestone to peal of the skin of the corn prior to it being ground. this soaking also allows vit b, niacin and a certain amino acid to become available when eaten. called Nixtamalization (see wikki :) ) the traditional round pan was made of clay, but today it is thin metal. wikki calls it a comal. much like my crepe pan. we will have to try this at home. my last attempt at home didn't work so well, and my attempt here even though the lady was helping, i didn't get it on the grill correctly and it a was a bit folded. But it tasted great.

    The traditional salsa was very spicy, in a granite bowl or maybe basalt 3 pestle bowl. these may be A molcajete - traditional mexican version of mortar and pestle. they were also at the resort next to the breakfast omlet making station where they also made a breakfast tortilla. they had salsa in them too at the resort, but not as spicy as this one!

    The prickly pear cactus that they use for eating has very small prickles so it is easy to prepare. not like the big ones we see growing at the side of the road.
    Read more