Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Colorado: Settling In

    June 15, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    Since we drove out of Chattanooga on June 2nd, we've been on the move every few days. Now that we're finally in Ridgway we're staying put for almost 2 weeks and so very glad for it.

    Our first two days were hot and wickedly windy -- 2 things I did not expect at all. The winds blew wildfire smoke from Arizona into town on Tuesday and it blanketed everything, including our amazing mountain view and left a coating of dust everywhere. The nights were noisy with the wind rattling the entire camper -- and it took a while for me to chill and accept that it was just the wind and not, in fact, bears about to tear us apart.

    Thankfully, Wednesday we woke to chilly temperatures and a clear sky. It was a sight that made me grin from ear to ear.

    The campground is great and our site is spacious and close - but not too close - to the bathhouse and small playground. There are some nice trails nearby, a great little lake & beach and a bigger playground further down the hill. We have a perfect view of sunset from our little "patio" area.

    After our first few days of enduring the wind and initial exploring, today I decided the boys and I will have a chill morning. We got the watercolors out and put those to use. Each day this week Nate is starting work early in the morning, then heading out to work at my cousin TJ's house. Tonight my Dad will be out to have dinner with us at the campsite.

    Feeling lucky to be here.
    Read more