Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 79

    Luderitz, Namibia

    April 2, 2023, South Atlantic Ocean ⋅ ☁️ 64 °F

    Our third day in Namibia.
    We arrived in Luderitz by 10:00am, got out and immediately booked a local tour to a ghost town Kolmanskop. The town is a short 15 min drive from the port.
    In the beginning of 20th century there was only a railway station, until one railway worker found a stone that happened to be a diamond.
    It took only few year to be a prosperous German town in the middle of the desert.
    The town had doctors, nurses, hospital.
    It had local rail system that delivered food to every house and provided transportation for ladies to go shopping or visit friends.

    Later in 1928 diamonds were discovered south of that town, people moved south.
    In 1960, the last people left town and in the 80s it became a tourist site.
    We toured few houses, but it was hard for Boris to walk on the sand and stairs.
    By 12:00pm we came back on the ship, had a quick lunch, assembled a wheelchair and went to see the town we docked in.
    Interesting old German architecture. It was Sunday, so most places were closed.
    In addition, I felt very tired. We walked for an hour and came back.

    The rest of the day I slept with a break for a quick dinner.
    Tomorrow is a sea day.
    Read more