Satellite
  • Day 150

    Cape Palliser

    November 26, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    We drove to Cape Paliser, known for its lighthouse and more recently for a large seal colony. But the drive there was already spectacular. The bright blue ocean on a sunny day was a pleasant ride. The coast line alternated between beaches and large boulders. The latter being ideal to spot seals. We kept our eyes peeled but didn't see any for most of the drive. But then we saw a bunch of cars pulled over on the side of the road. Maybe this was our chance. As we got out, we noticed about 20 seals lounging in the grass and on the rocks. We went for a closer look.

    Just a little further along the road we spotted more seals. But here no one else was hanging out with them. They were spaced about 10m apart, so we could walk around them between the rocks. Most were lazy, some were playing in the water, some were hopping to find a better spot. Ahh, what a life!

    It had become cloudy and it started to rain. We got back in the car to go to the lighthouse. A straight, steep, 252-step staircase led straight up the mountain. From the lighthouse you got a great vantage point of the surrounding coastline. Although the weather didn't let you see too far. And the howling wind made it hard to keep your balance. Nonetheless, the rocky shore was impressive in itself.

    We decided to take one more look at the seals in a different spot. Three males were sitting upright, sizing each other up. We watched them for a while. Sometimes they would bark at each other, or one would charge at another. All intimidation though, and no action. But hiding just behind a rock was a female, with a small pup drinking milk. So cute! And just a few meters away, another pup was hiding under a big rock.

    That night we camped at the entrance of the Pinnacles. It was really close to the shore so in the evening we went to see the sunset. It was really colourful!
    Read more