Satellite
  • Day 3

    Realto Bridge, Venice, italy

    August 11, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    We set out to explore. It is said that you must get lost in Venice and that we did. We wandered through the labyrinth of walkways and pathways and tunnels and waterways. It is a remarkable place. A place everyone should try to visit. We actually enjoyed the quieter areas away from the crowds, though, we didn’t feel like it was all that crowded anyway. We were alone most of the time and we found restaurants that were more local and less touristy. We had a little breakfast of procuitto and melon and an espresso. I love the taste of espresso but I also love to hold and savor a big mug. This whole sidaling up to a bar for a dolly sized sip of steaming hot deliciousness leaving you wanting more is no way enjoy the morning. They literally run up, order, slam and run. That is probably the only thing they do fast.

    We walked over the famous Realto Bridge and worked our way to the Realto Market with fresh fruit and veggies and fish. Kind of gross really. There were flies and bees all over the fish. Ick. We meandering through the streets and found another quaint restaurant for lunch. We had a Peach Belini which was made almost to a slushy consistency which was refreshing. It was a warm day but not too hot. Hot in the sun but breezy and comfy in the shade. Did you know the Belini was created in Venice. Yup. We also ordered a bowl of mussels. I am so glad Paul and I like the same things. Makes it very easy.

    We worked our way to the east side of the lagoon. We saw our ship already docked in Port waiting for Sunday‘s departure. It is a moderate sized ship compared to the monstrosities parked in Port looming over Venice. You can see them from the west side. Can’t blame these beautiful countries for getting upset by the number of ships that dump thousands upon thousands into their towns, though it helps their economy. They seem a little irritated when serving you.

    We lost ourselves in the streets of Venice some more and found another cafe to stop at for an appertivo. I also wanted to try one of the orange drinks that everyone seemed to be drinking. I think everyone was drinking them because everyone saw everyone else drinking them and wanted to try the same refreshing looking orange drink. So, I asked for the orange drink that everyone was drinking. It is called an Aperol spritz. It is prosecco with Aperol and soda with a slice of orange. I really liked it. Paul didn’t because it has a bitter taste. I also tasted the red version, a Compari. It is really bitter. The Aperol Spritz is lighter in taste. So, we had that and a Caprese Salad. Midway through our afternoon appertivo, we got message that my luggage, “the pink bag”, was being delivered at 5 PM. It was 4:45 in Venice. What would normally have been a straight 15 minute shot is 30 in the winding streets. Thank God for imaps. It still took 30 minutes. Our host at the apartment was communicating with the airport and then us. It was frustrating because the time between communications was not real time. We got back to the apartment and continued to try to figure where my luggage was. Rosella called us to say that my luggage was sitting in a pizzaria down the street. What?! Sure enough, it was. The courier couldn’t find us and left it at the pizzaria. WTF?! I had two one of a kind hand made dresses worth a ton of money in my bag, my jewelry though not worth a ton and my priceless underwear. It was fine but really? So Paul‘s bag was still MIA with 24 hours before boat departure. Delta gave us clearance to go shopping on their tab. “Just don’t go buy Prada.” We aren’t Prada anyway.

    It’s all part of the adventure (Because I got my stuff.haha)
    Read more