Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Inverness

    May 24, 2022 in Scotland ⋅ 🌧 54 °F

    Today we toured the Culloden Battlefield which is a little like a “Scottish Alamo”. April 16, 1746 Prince Charlie and the Jacobites were defeated here by the supporters of King George II, and it marked the beginning of the end of the Highland clan system and the hope of restoring a Stuart monarchy to the throne in England. It was the last battle on British soil and in less than an hour over 1000 Jacobites were killed and 500 supporters of the Hanover monarchy of King George II. People in the area still bring flowers here as they remember the horrendous battle that took place 276 years ago. After the battle the Highlanders were forbidden to have clans, wear kilts, speak the Gaelic language, own weapons (only small knife for cutting food), and forbidden to play bagpipes. This battle was featured in the TV series “Outlander” and I am so caught up in the history of Great Britain…even more so since these tours.

    After a quick lunch at a cafe we enjoyed walking around the small pedestrian shopping area. One never goes out without an umbrella as we learned today. A quick shower and the sun is once again out and the birds are chirping! Our hotel is right on the River Ness and there’s a nice walk along the river.

    Rebecca and I went to Blackfriars Pub for dinner, and I had a Scottish steak and ale pie that was delicious. Susan and her daughter April met us to go to a pub for live Scottish music but there were no seats. We finished off the evening with a drink and good conversation at a rooftop secret garden above the Black Isle Bar. It was still light outside at 10:00.

    Interesting tidbit: Great Britain switched over to metric back in 1965, but they kept only one part of the Customary System…miles! All road signs are in miles.
    Read more