Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Second Sea Day

    December 26, 2023, Caribbean Sea ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    After a quiet morning, we attended a lecture by Mick Dawson entitled "Rowing the Atlantic". Mick, who is a former Royal Marine Commando, describe how he developed a passion for ocean rowing. In this lecture, he described (with a lot of humor) how he and his brother rowed from the Canary Islands to Barbados.
    After the lecture, we headed to to gift shop and promptly purchased two of Mick's books. We are hoping that his writing is as entertaining as his lecture. We are looking forward to his next lecture.
    Next was lunch at the World Cafe and then on to Jive dance class. In hindsight, I do not think that dancing the jive was the best choice for Bob as he is just 5 weeks out from hip replacement surgery. But, none the less, we had a great time....Bob will just end up paying for it with increased pain.
    The afternoon also saw us attending a Photography Workshop which we thought was a bit pedestrian and did not care for the lecturer's sense of humor. We were wishing that Phyllis or Dale would have been doing the lecture.
    The next lecture was entitled, "Columbus: The Man & His Mission".
    The lectures are one of the reasons that we like Viking so much.
    Bob and I then headed back to our stateroom to make a quick change before meeting Dale and Jenni in the Restaurant for dinner. This evening's dining venue was chosen because the restaurant was offering foie gras as an appetizer. Dale and I may or may not have eaten 4 servings. My arteries are sure to be narrowing considerably.
    The evening entertainment was "Southern Sounds" by the Viking Neptune Vocalists. We were fortunate to find seats in the second row next to one of the vocalist's family. It was so fun to watch them watching their daughter perform. They were very proud parents and grandparents. It made for a very special evening for Bob and I.
    I am including photos of our stateroom. Our stateroom is a few staterooms from the aft of the boat on the starboard side.
    Even with all the luggage that we brought onboard, we ended up with one empty drawer and several that were not completely full. The reason for this is that we brought storage boxes to help organize our items. We have several of these stores under our bed. They contain items such as Covid testing kits, over the counter medicines, sunscreen and other items that we may need during our trip.
    Read more