Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 86

    Funky Île des Pins flora and fauna

    April 24, 2019 in New Caledonia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    L’Île des Pins is known for its towering pine trees, which took us a moment to identify, being not at all like Canadian pines! We also encountered lots of other unusual flora and fauna, some of which accidentally made it back home with us - oops! There were these symbiotically growing joined trees all over the forest, especially where the trees were largely left to their own devices and tended to grow more densely. The kids were fascinated by the newly dubbed “crobster” - a strange crab-like creature found around the Oro Bay islands that is equipped with one lobster-like claw. They are really quick little guys, especially when their pictures are being taken.

    Two special friends, who ended up making the trip back to Nouméa with us, are Snaily and Hermie. Mommy picked them up by accident, collecting supposedly empty seashells. It turns out that Snaily was at home, however - a discovery that was made later on, in the bathroom of the Betico 2, as the shells were being washed. Fortunately, as we walked home that very night, we came across a veritable field full of snails just like him - perhaps even including some long lost cousins - and so we were pleased to be able to leave him amongst friends.

    Hermie on the other hand, was found when the shells were being double-checked by Davy. He rightly observed something moving inside one of the larger shells - it was a really pretty one and so Mommy didn’t want to give it up. Unfortunately, Hermie being the original and still present owner, clearly had first priority. We dutifully brought him to Anse Vata beach for release back into the New Caledonian wild.
    Read more