Satellite
  • Day 5

    Culture in Boston

    April 17, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 4 °C

    Today we decided to feel more of the cultural part of the city, so we visited Harvard, MIT and the Boston Public Library.
    Harvard was always for me one of the most prestigious colleges in US and of course the place where Oliver and Jennifer met (Love Story). It is different though to get the real feeling: to see the campus, the main buildings, the Library, to hear the stories, to learn about the history of the place (e.g.: the college, the oldest institution oh higher learning in US - founded in 1636 - was named after John Harvard because he donated £780 and his collection of 400 books to the college). It is a special place...you can feel it just by being there.
    MIT - you can see it directly from the campus site that it is an „IT base“. The Museum, super interesting - makes you realize how many things the human brain can develop. It is not the technology that develops, it is humans that do that. We evolve and with us, everything around us. If and how we want it.
    The Boston Public Library - 19mil. volumes and electronic resources, free for all. What can I say more? As a lover of books and libraries, I was “at home“ there. It is the second biggest in US (after the Library of Congress; Harvard Library being the 3rd). I find remarkable the idea of having such an immense source of knowledge available for everyone to access.
    We still have some top attractions to check off our list, so tomorrow, our last day of the Boston trip, will be a full day. Hopefully less windy.
    Read more