Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 58

    San Juan and San Pedro

    March 26 in Guatemala ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    We started the day with a lancha to San Juan, the artist village! It was a morning full of learning, first up learning about the local bees, there are four different species that range in size from tiny (hive underground with dark sour honey used for medicinal purposes) to big bees that live in avocado trees with super sweet honey! We tasted all the honey types and Darragh, Barry and James ate the bees too (common apparently). The honey differs in flavour based on what the bees eat ( coffee, flowers,cocoa)
    Next stop was traditional Mayan weaving, Eira and Rowyn had a crack at spinning some cotton, all the dyes are natural and have varying shades based on the stages of the moon!! Incredible!!
    Finally we visited the chocolate factory, and I use the term factory very lightly!! It's a small local set up using traditional methods. The chocolate they produce is only good for four months as it has no preservatives or chemical additives!
    We travelled from there to San Pedro, enjoyed a lovely meal and grabbed the last lancha from there to Santa Cruz.
    To wrap up the day we watched the sunset from Guatmia, a fancy bar on the lakefront we hadn't ventured to yet but really enjoyed it,! Chess with a view
    Read more