Satellite
  • Day 7

    Too hot to handle

    December 10, 2019 in India ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    Today was peaceful. I decided to spend the whole day reading, and frankly, I know I made the right call because of how hot it was. I even took a nap! I did finally get a photo of the food at the canteen, and I also got some of the coffee and snack when I went back later. They actually give you another dish for the coffee which you pour back and forth to cool down; I had no idea of course until I saw other at the canteen doing so.

    One very unexpected occurrence, especially on my 'down day,' was some sort of celebration with candles everywhere. They're were candles at the end of the staircases, in windows in homes, on balconies, sidewalks, and of course practically engulfing the temple. I took my shoes off and proceeded to go inside. People lined up to pray to the gods, and there were even ceremonies where the door would be closed, so no one could view the God and would have to wait until a bell was rung and a drum beaten, and then they would open the door so people could pray to them again. It was quite the experience to be there during it all and I found it wonderfully fascinating. Srimathy came along a bit after and guided me a bit, which I greatly appreciated, though sadly I still have no idea what it was for, or what I was doing. When the celebration at the temple seemed to wind down there were suddenly fireworks going off all over the place; one large boom in particular gave me quite the fright, making me jump upright in surprise. I decided to take a peak outside the clinic grounds, and the same thing was going on. There were even children lighting fireworks, and some who looked to be no more than one holding sparklers. Though I have no clue what was being celebrated, it was amazing to be here for it. I guess even my non-adventurous days can have amazing surprises around the corner.
    Read more