Satellite
  • Day 48

    Day 48/72: walking, running & surfing

    December 14, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    We woke up early, determined to make up for yesterday's laziness, and headed out for a run on 'foulwind cape'. Surprisingly the weather was beautiful and so hot in the sun, the run had no shelter, and the car park had almost no satellites to start up strava. After the first half mile there was a lookout over a colony of seals, and after that there was a cliff path run up to the lighthouse. We spent a while watching seal puppies playing on the rocks. Male seals can weigh up to 200kg while females tend to weigh around 40kg.

    The run was hard work but we finished it...kind of. And then we rented some surf boards from the former NZ surfing champion, and headed onto the water for the best part of 5 hours. Feeling very much improved, not to mention achey and exhausted, we decided to call it a day surfing wise.

    The sun was still beating down, so we walked back along the walk we had run earlier, and watched the seals playing for a long time.

    A lovely dinner that evening was very much in order, and we had an easy evening after an action packed day.
    Read more