Satellite
  • Day 1

    To the Netherlands

    November 26, 2018 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☁️ 43 °F

    I've been asking Kim to take a trip to Europe with me for a long time. I don't know for sure what made her agree this time, but she's coming with me to the Netherlands, for a work trip, and then back through London for a mini vacation.

    Our first stop is in Amsterdam, after the longest flight of Kim's life we arrived to a cold and grey. We had about 6 hours to walk around like two sleepless zombies before heading to Enschende for a few days of work. Of course the Anne Franke museum was booked up 2 months in advance, so we spent the day walking around, visiting coffee shops (the kind actually with coffee), and trying to stay warm. The smell of pot filled the air and reminded us a bit of how Denver is now, but Amsterdam is way over the top with it.

    There are lots of Europeans here, and some Americans, but here is hte most odd thing Kim noticed. Othan than cups of coffee, no one is walking around drinking anything. Kim got a diet coke, since they seem not to sell her normal diet pepsi here, the fluid that flows through her veins, and people were actually staring and commenting about her carying a coke around. Weird I guess.

    On the 2 hour train ride she slept. I continued to be a zombie and stayed awake because at every stop the only English announcement that was made said, "Thieves are on the trains, watch your luggage". Kim enjoyed spending several days in the hotel room in Enschende waiting for me to finish work each day.
    Read more