Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Over the mountains. OMG

    April 13 in France ⋅ 🌙 55 °F

    We were both up and awake naturally at 4am. Usual for Paul, very unusual for Lydia. we knew the day would be long and hot - predicted to be Almost 80, compared to the snow and flooding only 2 weeks ago.

    It was magical to leave in the night light and watch the sun rise over the countryside in S. France. I had hoped to see horses on this Camino and I was not disappointed!

    These first adorable guys came right up to me to share their baby.

    By the end of the first 2 hours of walking up a steep grade, i was right hot and sweaty - see how red my face was?

    Then we made it to Orisson, a pilgrim’s refuge. They wisely make coffee, which we welcomed.

    Every turn added some amazing scenery! Almost easy to forget that my hips and knees were feeling more and more old.

    No worries - we are in good company. Slow and steady. it’s so cool to hear so many other languages, and to talk with each other about deeper things. Like how we can’t imagine doing something like this with anyone else.

    We share a similar opinion that cheese, bread and apples on a hillside make a fine meal.
    And if the wise vendor who set up a food cart just before the hill gets steep again sells home made sheep’s cheese, we are so going to buy that.
    Listen to the video when you watch. It’s the world greeting us.
    Read more