Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Morning in Pamplona

    April 16 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 46 °F

    The capsule hostel was a cool experience. Really impressed with how efficiently it uses the space. Everything is so clean - remove your shoes at the front door and hang your bag downstairs separate from the dormitory area. there is a locker at the end of the bed to keep your valuables safe.

    If you’re petite, like me, you can sit up easily, or rest with your feet on the ceiling.

    If you’re tall like Paul, you can’t sit up fully, so you build your abdominals and learn to curl your spine.

    Bonus - no alarm needed! Whoever of the 20 guests wakes up first in the morning inevitably makes the noise of a zipper, a shade going up, or slipping off the ladder and scraping her shin with a few choice expletives.

    Ok, fine, that was me. Awake at 4am. 🕓

    We had found a grocery store in town and Hard boiled some eggs the night before. Along with local sheep cheese, hearty bread and apples, we are well fed!

    We loaded our bags and headed into the waking city.

    Another beautiful sunrise, this time over the 16th century citadel. Not walking out of Pamplona today - instead taking the early afternoon train to Astorga. From there we will walk the last 256 kilometers of the Camino into Santiago. Glad to have a bit of quieter morning of wandering the amazing buildings and gardens of Pamplona. El Jardin de Tacodero has chickens, 🐓 geese 🪿, 🦃 turkeys, Guinea fowl and 🦚 peacocks.

    It even has a herd of deer enclosed out of reach, much to the bitter disappointment of the local dogs 🐕

    After the last 3 days of very long walking, it’s a relief on my muscles. My bag must weight like 50 pounds.

    As I said to our hostelero, “tengo 10 más años este tarde que tenía en la mañana.”
    Read more