Satellite
  • Day 10

    Lutece Arena

    October 1, 2018 in France ⋅ ⛅ 55 °F

    It's our last day in Paris. We took time in the crisp morning air to walk along the Seine. We were above the fray of traffic and enjoyed the Parisian architecture and house boats on the river.
    In the afternoon we set out to find the Lutèce Arena located in the Latin Quarter. This arena was built in the first century by the Romans who called this settlement Lutetia. It seated 15,000 people and was used as an amphitheater, for gladiatorial combat, theater productions and circuses. You can still see the animal cages. In the seventh century it was used as a cemetery and eventually filled in completely and forgotten. Then, in the nineteenth century it was rediscovered during building excavation. Victor Hugo was instrumental in preserving and restoring it. It's a quiet little gem surrounded by a neighborhood. I've been hoping to see the Arena since I read about it in a mystery novel by Cara Black.
    Our next stop was the Ile Saint-Louis, the little island in the Seine. We strolled along its streets before heading back to our hotel for our last night in Paris. We chose an Italian restaurant nearby. The food was delicious and the service wonderful. It's been a fabulous trip with good friends. I always hate to say goodbye to Paris but I love the French farewell, au revoir, until next time.
    Read more