Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Darling River, Pooncarie

    November 2, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Headed off this morning, thinking we may make it to Bindara Station. We had stayed there about 4 years ago when we did a trip we called the 'Darling River Run'. Our plans are always changing, and after fueling up at Wentworth and filling our water tanks at the local Caravan Park for a fee of $5, we ended up finding a nice site on the side of the Darling River just south of Pooncarie. There is another caravan set up here, but we are far enough away, not to see each other, giving us both some privacy.

    We sat by the river which is a green clay colour, on the high bank and listened to the birds and watched the feral goats nearby and across the river. Apparently the river is quite low at the moment and the authorities are about to release some water from Menindee Lakes, which should flush the river and raise the level.

    We did plan to head to Bindara today, but found this nice spot instead, and best of all, it is free.

    The weather has been fine and sunny today, but rain and cooler weather is forecast. Hopefully it will not affect our plans to head up to the Flinders and possibly Lake Eyre.
    Read more