Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42–43

    Solar Eclipse, Cubero (New Mexico)

    October 13, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    In July my colleague Olli told me that there would be a solar eclipse during our time in the States. We checked the eclipse's path and I realized that we would actually be really close to the area, where the eclipse is total. We made a few small adjustments and added the solar eclipse to our trip.
    Tim, another colleague, borrowed us a pair of solar eclipse glasses, so we were well prepared for the event!
    All of the campgrounds in the vicinity were full, so we had to find a different kind of accomodation. On the homepage hipcampers.com people rent out their gardens and front yards and we booked a place in Cubero, New Mexico, close to Albuquerque. Online it said that it is a goat farm and the pictures looked quite nice, yet in the end we didn't stay at the farm, but a mile down the road at a place that the owners were just establishing. We could see that they had big plans for the place, but for now it was just a parking lot and a pit toilet...😒...well...at least we had unblocked views of the sun and there was nobody around. We poured ourselves a coffee, opened our box of donuts, put the camera and solar eclipse glasses in place and sat in the sun.
    Soon we could see the first part of the shade. The moon covered more and more of the sun. We tried to take pictures, but it was tricky with the available equipment. We got a few alright shots though.
    The ring eclipse was fascinating. It was still bright around us, but the colors were very pale and it got really cold.
    I don't know how to describe the event, but the pictures speak for themselves.
    It was an awesome experience and we are very happy to have had this as a part of our trip! Thank you, Olli and Tim!
    Read more